Pages

1.16.2014

My Essential Oils Post

It seems to me that while on a more natural lifestyle everyone goes through a progression of subtraction and addition. For me it started with my garden, so food was the focus. I started cutting processed meats and snacks-I continue to cut processed meats and snacks. I then made a point to eat fresh produce. I looked at my sugars and sweeteners and evaluated how much I eat and then looked for different options- i.e. honey, real maple syrups, molasses.

As the progression continued I started looking at how food can heal, help, and actually nourish our bodies. I learned about home remedies in my refrigerator and cabinets. Super powers that certain foods have, the things they are known for, and the ways foods were and are used in traditional cultures-this continues to be some of my favorite readings.

Throughout this subtraction and addition I came across Essential Oils. Now before you roll your eyes and call me a witch doctor, let me tell you it wasn't so long ago that I myself wasn't so sure of their power, necessity, and simplicity. To me they seemed complicated and foreign. But that's probably because I was raised in a society that you go to the doctor, they write a prescription, you buy the prescription, take the prescription. There is very little knowledge needed on our end of the deal.

However, the oils kept coming up and it was at this blog The Prairie Homestead where I really decided that Essential Oils were something that I not only wanted to try-but I really wanted to DO them. The author over at the Prairie Homestead, Jill is someone whom I've learned a lot from. She's from WY, so we are basically next door neighbors. It's a trust factor. She uses doTERRA oils and has had great success as have others, so I decided to sign up. But then I didn't. I got scared. I continued to read and learn, then about 2 months ago mom and I went to a class and I jumped in. I decided to become a wholesaler so I could get the best discounts. I bought a Family Physicians Kit, it seemed to fit the most of our needs and started using the oils as soon as they came in.

Needless to say-I'm impressed. What have I been using them with?

Lavender

Laundry-A couple drops in a load. Lavender in with our sheets. Lemon in with our whites to make them whiter. Lemon to kill ickies on Jerrel's scrubs. I scent my wool dyer balls with a blend of grapefruit, lemon, peppermint, ginger, and cinnamon-sounds odd smells good!
 ---Side note, I make my own detergent (which after 7 months I'm just now needing make more!) so while our clothes are clean they don't have a "scent" which I'm fine with because that means I'm avoiding a cocktail of perfumes and dyes. However, lavender on our sheets is very relaxing.

Dishes-I put a drop or two in the dishwasher to help cut our unbelievably hard water.

Bath-A few drops of lavender on some epsom salts to ensure the oil doesn't just sit on top of the water is a wonderful way to relax and helps my lower back since I'm so top heavy these days.

Water- I drink at least one 20 oz bottle a day with either wild orange or lemon in it. It's delicious and refreshing. Citrus is also well known for immunity boosts and gentle detox.

Wild Orange 

Sickness- Stuffy noses and drainage were a problems the week I received my oils. I used doTRRA'S Breathe Blend on the back of our necks and we were cleared up. I followed up with Melaleuca on my sinuses to ensure I didn't have an infection of some kind.
Two weeks ago Jerrel brought home a stomach bug from work. It hit him hard. I treated him with oils and I treated myself with the oils (and healthy, whole foods), internally, on my feet, and wrists for prevention. He was better so much faster than ever before and I managed to steer clear.

Swelling-I've been having some edema, nothing unusual just annoying. My citrus water helps with the issue immensely as does Lavender in coconut oil to make a lotion on my hands and feet. A drop of Frankincense on a cotton ball rubbed on my feet and hands helps too.

Frankincense 

Skin-I've used Melaleuca (tea tree) to help with acne, Frankincense to help as well, both helped clear me up and give a little bit of a glow. 

I go for my oil cabinet everyday-making it a worthy investment I'd say. It's awesome to take charge of our health in this avenue. The night that Jerrel was so sick-I wasn't helpless, I felt a little just because I couldn't wave a wand and make him better. However, the oils could ease the symptoms and fight the virus-antibiotics can't do that! I had another tool to protect myself, and then help him get back on his feet quicker. Next on my list is to make some cleaners, baby wipes solution, dish soap, cooking...I'm impressed with doTERRA's quality and while they can be pricey from what I've witnessed it's worth it. I think it's a case of "You get what you pay for."

So that's my first essential oils post and I'm sure there will be more. So I'm telling you, look into high quality essential oils. You won't be disappointed. And if you have any questions feel free to ask-I might not know much yet but I'm always up to learn!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment