Pages

6.03.2010

Baking Up A Storm!



As I stated in a previous post you have been able to find me in the kitchen a bit more. This is a change from my past train of thought which was that I did not enjoy cooking or baking of any sort. But I now, when I am home alone I find myself drawn to the kitchen and making all different kinds of things. This time I made two chocolate snacks.

The first one is the cookie bars you see. They were delicious! They were called Coffee and Cookie Brownies. They evolved from cocoa scones, a variation of Scottish tea cakes. A little history lesson! :)

I suppose I’ll share the recipe with you....

Coffee and Cookie Brownies

1 16.5 to 10 oz. Pkg. Refrigerated sugar cookie dough
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 19.5 oz pkg. Milk chocolate brownie mix
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/3 cup coffe liqueur of cooled strong coffee
1 cup semisweet of bittersweet chocolate pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Press sugar cookie dough in the bottom 9x13 pan; set aside

In a large bowl combine eggs, brownie mix, cooking oil and coffee liqueur until just combined. Spread over sugar cookie dough. Sprinkle with chocolate pieces.

Bake about 40 minutes or until edges are set. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

The next recipe is called Mama’s Sweet and Saltines

40 saltine crackers
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup light-brown sugar

Preheat over to 425 degrees. Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil and saltine crackers.

In a medium saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over crackers covering them evenly. Put cookie sheet into over and watch closely. Bake for about 5 minute, or until just bubbly.

Remove from oven and pour chocolate chips over crackers. When chips begin to melt, spread them over crackers with a knife. Transfer pan to freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until completely cold. They will form a solid sheet; break into pieces and store in an airtight container.

These are so simple and so tasty the perfect combo of sweet and salty!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment