Pages

3.18.2016

House Update-Little Victories

Hi there! Crawling out from the rock that has been Spring Forward over here. How about you? Think night owl baby staying up to a time Momma considers late. That's saying something. Think Momma laying on the couch singing, "Go to sleep little Millie. Go to sleep little Millie. Go freaking to sleep little Millie. Please?" It didn't work and I don't know why...

Anyway there's a reason I'm here and it's to give an update on the house. The name of the game this week has been little victories. But these little victories have had big payoffs. 

Little Victories have included:
  • Electricians all but done--actually this is a big victory. It's been 9 weeks on and off of them hanging around. Jerrel has learned a lot in the process of seeing the rewiring. 
  • Brick cleaned 
  • Beadboard going up
  • Bedroom walls washed
  • Kitchen hardware cleaning--kinda



The electricians have finally gotten to where we can work without waiting on them. Hooray! Our main focus is the kitchen right now and they said we are good to go so we...GO. Jerrel is dabbling in table saw management, circular saw correction, and jigsaw control. It's going fairly well and we are excited to see clean surfaces of bead board and can't wait to add finishing touches like trim and paint...or maybe that's just me. 


We have cleaned the brick and bought sealer. That's on my list to do next week. 


Measure twice and cut once. Actually its waayyy more than that. 

Then I always get to hear. "It's not straight! Why is nothing straight?!" Almost a 100 year old house dear. The wall isn't straight.

That's why we loved it. Looks straight enough to me. 


Hey look we have two outlets on one wall. Fancy that. I'm happy I'll be able to not fear getting electrocuted and being able to do two things that require electricity at once. 


In other news the wallpaper is all down and those rooms now look scary too. You can see the wood work more now, which is good but the dirty walls aren't exactly the kind of character I was going for. So now I'm cleaning the walls of wallpaper paste and bits of paper. This room is ready for patching and painting. The walls look so much better after a scrub down. 

Whoever's wallpaper paste recipe the previous interior designer used, knew their stuff. That paper wasn't peeling hardly anywhere and left quite the residue behind. 

I tell you what, these plaster walls? They owe me. 


I became weary of washing walls one day and decided to try and get the hardware off the cabinets so I could clear them of the layers of paint. Stripped screws later and I was defeated for the day. I took a picture, patted Jerrel on the back, said good work, and went to find food at my parents. This little hinge was my little victory.

The week has been productive. And we had a little bit of an overwhelming moment when the electricians left and it was all on us now. To get it done. To do it right. To move in. It's hard for me to even see moving in at this point. But I've made a list and I'm plugging away. It's how I cope with too much to do and no time.

It's worked for me before so I know it will work again.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming swimming swimming. 

Name that movie.

Anyway, little victories. That's what's keeping us swimming.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment