Pages

1.13.2012

Exercise?

Let's get one thing straight, I've never been fond of the whole idea of exercise. To me it always meant "competition." From 1st grade PE when we had to run five laps around the gym for warm ups to high school sports where sucking wind was the goal. I didn't like the idea because A. I'm not the front runner in that department. and B. I just don't really care.

Let's get another thing straight, I don't make New Year's resolutions. Kudos to you if you do, really. I've never been able to come up with anything really good that I'd want to stick to all year, does that mean I'm the perfect person and don't need to make changes? Yes. I mean no. NO. no. NO. I just don't make a big hoopla about resolutions.

But I have a made a change. It just so happened to come about at this time of year. I have been exercising. It all started when my mom got a new treadmill. I went to just play with it and before I knew it I had ran a mile, and nothing was chasing me! Honestly I have no idea how it happened. Then the next day I did the same thing, and the next day I did a little more. It's been three weeks and I have only took one day off from that formally naughty word of, exercise.

Now, I'm a slim girl. I'm not bragging by any means, I'm just stating a fact and facts do not cease to exist just because we don't like them. I'm not doing this exercise thing to stay trim or to loose some pounds, none of that. I'm doing it because it feels good. I didn't really know I had that kind of energy. The kind that needed to be burned off. I didn't realize that it would help improve my mood. Sure I'd learned all about the endorphins that are released when being active but I guess I never thought that could apply to me. I was happy and I didn't like exercise. How could that make me happier? I'll tell you how-I'm not competing with anyone. I don't have a teacher or coach telling me to run this far, lift this much. I'm just doing it. Like Nike says to!

But probably the coolest thing about this whole deal is the time I have to myself. I don't think I'm really a gym person. I don't want people watching me and I really don't want complete strangers seeing the sweat mustache that I get. Did I really just admit that? Anyway, I like listening to my music, and it's not the typical music, its relaxing music. I like having that time to think about things, or to think about nothing. But I mostly pray while I am running. I pray for the Clarks, I pray for my family, I pray for Senor Smarty Pants and his family, I pray about school. Just whatever comes to my mind and needs lifted up. It's just nice to have that time, and even though I'm running I'm focused. I feel clearer when I'm done.

I can't say that I'm going to continue this new thing for the whole year. But I do like the change, I do like that my legs feel stronger. And as I type this, I still can't believe that I actually took the time today to exercise.

Blessings!

1 comment: