Pages

1.13.2017

My Sunday Do What I Want Day


I have no days anymore. Well I shouldn't totally say that. Because sometimes, every once in a while a Friday feels like a Friday or a Monday feels like a Monday. Oye.

But as a mom and a stay at home mom, my everyday is throwing in the laundry, feeding the chickens, frying the eggs, kissing the toe-head, and drinking the coffee. I find extraordinary in the ordinary and even joy in the mundane most days. But sometimes, sometimes I get in a rut. We all do that in every season, in every occupation, in every situation. I think the culture likes to pin mundane on the SAHM lifestyle but I know the truth. We all deal with it.

During the week I work hard. I don't say this to gloat or to gain accolades but I do. This life is also my job. It is my contribution to our family and so I work hard, keep moving, and put my heart into it. But I learned about 2 years ago that I needed a weekend of sorts too. Seeing Saturday as any other ole' day wasn't working. Talk about a rut.

So on the weekend I work just as hard at taking it easy. Sure, the chickens still need fed, I certainly need to kiss the toe-head, and don't forget the coffee. However, things like laundry and vacuuming wait. It's part of why I work hard around here during the week. I keep up so I don't have to play catch up. It works for me and for us. I feel like I actually get a weekend and I generally feel rested and refreshed come Monday.

A couple weeks ago I had a few too many "meeting of the minds" with my two year old. It was just a thing with her, a thing with me, so we tussled a bit. The weekend came around and I lamented to my sweet husband on the Friday night. "I don't want you to work this weekend. You are leaving me alone with her." Like the two year old was the plague or a scary monster. Or...just a two year old? Yeah, that. Lets face it, my attitude hadn't been peachy by Friday either. He chuckled. Rubbed my back and said "I trust you." Kind words from a man who trusts me implicitly.

We survived Saturday. With my parents help. Come Sunday I woke up and refused to put the day before, heck the week before, on repeat. I didn't just want to survive. I wanted to thrive that day. So I declared it My Sunday Do What I Want Day.

Our girl loves to bake. So when her eyes fluttered open for the day I said "Wanna make muffins with me?" Instantly, the day was off to a great start. While that baked she dried the dishes I washed and she sang songs. We enjoyed the muffins. We painted pictures. We had a small easy lunch that required no dishes to wash. Outside was nice enough to enjoy some sunshine so we did. I didn't want to fight about nap time-it'd been a point of contention that week-so we didn't. We watched a freakin' movie instead. A definite treat for both of us. I made chili for supper-hello easiest meal on the planet. When daddy came home, we were in a good space. I told him it was Do What I Want Day. He was all for it. We enjoyed a quiet evening together.

So while I always try to take it easy on the weekend, that Sunday in particular I worked extra hard at taking it extra easy. We did what we wanted, when we wanted, and it was great.

The next morning was the start of a new week. It was time to throw the laundry in again. It was time to vacuum. I think I even cleaned the bathroom. But that was ok. I didn't need to feel cheated of my weekend. I didn't need to feel swallowed up by the mundane. No, I felt refreshed because of my Sunday Do What I Want Day.

We needed it. My girl. Myself. Heck even Daddy needed to come home to see his girls at peace and fulfilled by a day well spent.

Do What I Want Day. You should try it. You deserve it.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment