Pages

9.21.2010

Even When the Miles are Many...

These are some pictures from my hometown that showed up on facebook today. You see we have a husband and wife that own a Coffee Shop/Pharmacy. They are crazy. They happen to be my cousins. The coffee shop is called Shirley K's. Look it up sometime. Its awesome. I feel it is what defines my town. It's what we are at our best. Nutty, fun, and friendly!

This is Mark...the pharmacist, yes he is in fact dressed like a gorilla...in a tutu...although I know for a fact that he will dress like this and many other ways if only asked...but today he has a purpose to dress like this....again, yes this is his moped...he drives it to work and revs it up if you look like ya wanna race....and yes that is a pizza box strapped to the back....but it doesn't hold a pizza...no...it holds something way better a, Shirley K's GIANT cookie. You see Mark the Monkey Man is on a delivery!

This is in one of our classrooms. This is Mr. Blex, a social studies teacher. Although I never had the pleasure of being educated by Mr. Blex, as he is new this year, from what I hear, he is a huge hit! Yesterday was Mr. Blex's birthday. Someone arranged for a cookie to be made and delivered and who better to go and make a scene and complete fool of himself than...Mark the pharmacist! It's perfect!

When I saw these pictures today it made me miss my home. Not just my house and my family but my town. I know I have wrote before about being homesick, yata yata. But the more I am away and the more I see things from home, I come to see that I belong there. It's good to get away but it's always home. I can't call any other place that, so far. I almost don't want to admit that because then it seems that I have made my decision and that I will in fact return there hopefully, someday, full-time.

Why is my town so special? Well just like many things we own, simply because its mine! My family is there, my memories are there. I am more "me" there than all other places. My town is pretty. It's crazy and the people in it make me nuts sometimes but it's a great place to live. You don't get the interaction with people like we do in big cities. How sad really. People know and just "get" each other. The song below has some really great lyrics. (Please ignore the ones about drinking and other teenage shenanigans. Not part of the point I am trying to make!) Just as in the song below I too try to take in all the mental pictures I can when I go to leave, enough to get me through until the next time I am back. Also like the title of this post, which is from a line in the song, even when the miles are many, I feel like I'm still around. It's still mine. I just keep turning home.


Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment