Pages

9.08.2010

Well-Rounded....

I'm sitting here...doing my favorite mindless thing, watching the Food Network Channel. Pretty sure I could waste a whole day just on this channel. I am watching one of my favs, Giada. Her voice is so soothing. She is currently making a nice Egg White Frittata with Lox and Arugula for her friend that just had a baby. It looks delicious. But that is not the point of this post. The point of this post- school-yikes. This semester is not fun. Mentally I am doing much better, I am no longer lonely all the time-like I was last year-but my classes just aren't as fun.

But while in this frustration with my classes I found myself thankful. Actually thankful that I had went to CCC last year because of the classes I had taken. Riveting Phycology classes, and wonderful Introduction to Teaching classes. Classes that showed me I was in fact, in the right major. I have the sinking feeling that had I not been at CCC I would not have taken the classes I did, therefor not knowing that Education is such an excellent place for me and the passion that I truly have for it. Had I went to a larger college I believe the advisor would have put me in more General Education classes, like I am enrolled in now. I love to learn and I love education but these classes don't inspire me and for me that is so important. I know I would have become frustrated and then probably changed my major....(who knows...something random). Or I would have even quit. I don't quit much but, when you are dealing with the kind of money that I am spending but don't really have, it would be easy to justify to move on to somewhere else and something else.

If you look at the classes that actually pertain to my particular major it amounts to about 2 years of work. But because the whole college system strives to make "well-rounded people" they fill your other 2 years with classes such as Macro Economics, where the teacher just talks and talks and continues to talk and you have no clue what he just said. Or another personal favorite, Math. Now I understand completely that math is extremely important, I can add, subtract, blah, blah, blah, I can do many higher level things as well. But to my little "use time wisely" mind most of things covered in my class seem....well to not be using my time wisely when I want to teach children below the 2nd grade. This may sound ignorant. Oh well. From what I can see, while they are exposing me to different subjects (aka making me take these classes I don't care about) I am seeing how much I absolutely don't like these subjects, coulda done without that knowledge. Thats the kind of well-roundedness they are implementing in this chick. I consider my self very well rounded. I guess I wasn't aware though that I was actually going to college to become well-rounded . I think that should counted as another degree and listed on my diploma as well as my Education degree. I guess everyone is double majoring. Ok my rant is finished...for today.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment