Pages

9.10.2010

E Pie's Big Surprise!

Ok so here in Nebraska only one thing is bigger than beef, and that is Husker football.....ok so they may be equal, but lets just say they both are what makes our state run. When it is football season everyone is wearing red and you better not even THINK about doing anything other than watching, listening, or going to the Husker game. When it is not Husker football season everyone is dreaming about and projecting the kind of season this years team will have.

Now, I'm going to let you in on a little secret, ok its not really that big of a secret or a surprise, but I have never really been that into it. I mean I'm proud when they do well and I think it's a really great tradition and everything, it is one thing that basically the whole state can truly come together and agree on. I have been told that there is nothing like the Husker atmosphere at a game. Professional sports announcers on the T.V. have told me this, so it must be true right?! But, I'm just not all that into sports. I'll watch, but if there is something on the Food Network that looks more entertaining, well, I'm gonna flip it.

My family has very deep roots in Nebraska. But, I'm afraid we, the children of, two Nebraska natives hold a deep dark secret. We have never been to a Husker game! OH! NO! AH! My parents went to a few when they were younger. Ya know, before they were so tied down....Anyway we have never been. A and I never really have been too worried about it. I always thought it looked fun but I wasn't going to really beg to go. But E, we don't really know where he came from. He is obsessed with sports. He eats, drinks, sleeps, and breathes sports. Pretty much all kinds, all the time. So, naturally he is a massive Husker fan! E has had one wish his whole life, and every birthday since he knew the Skers existed, he has asked for one thing, to go to a Husker football game. My dad always has reasons on why this year just won't work, tickets are hard to come by, expensive or home games fall on Saturdays when he has to work, or has other projects going.

Well, the other day a family member who has season tickets (they are quite abundant in our area) approached my mom about 2 tickets they were not using this weekend. Mom said YES without even asking dad. After telling dad he could put it off no longer, he was taking E to the Nebraska vs. Idaho game they decided to find two more tickets for A and Mom to go along and then surprise E with the ticket a day before the game. I wish I could have been there. I actually found myself getting teary as my mom told me over the phone how they gave him the ticket. Here's the story:

E asked for 5 dollars to eat on at the hometown football game. Mom laid the ticket under the 5 dollar bill. E picked up the money and then said, "What's this?... Are you serious right now?! This is so soon, this is this weekend! Are you kidding me?!" You couldn't wipe the smile off his face! Then the chatter started, that's what E does when he is excited. Talk, talk, and talk. I am so excited for him. I know he is looking more forward to this game than anything he ever has had! I don't even care that I don't get to go. I am so happy for him. I just said they had to get me a cute Husker shirt, because I don't own one...OH! NO! AH! :) Have fun E Pie!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment