Pages

3.16.2012

Tar Paper.

Sometimes I wish I had a tape recorder for my Grandparents conversations.

The year: 1952 or 51...can't remember for sure.
My grandpa got a new job it paid $180 a month it included their rent.

Grandma: "That house? It was a chicken coop with tar paper on it."


Grandpa: "Oh it was alright. We got along fine."


Grandma: "It had no screens on the windows. There was no flooring except the linoleum in the kitchen that was wore clear through to the black. I could only do the washing when he was home (Grandpa) because the power would go out in the middle of it."


Grandpa: "You were happy weren't you?"


Grandma: "Well yeah...You had to go outside to get water."


Grandpa: "Well you were raised that way, just like I was." 


Grandma: "Yes, I was but I was ready for something different."


Grandpa: "I was different."


Blessings!

3 comments: