Pages

8.08.2014

World Breastfeeding Week

It's been 2 years since I posted my first breastfeeding post. I can't say I've posted a plethora since then. I just read through it though and it's good. If I do say so myself. It's one of the best posts I've written to date I think. I really believe because it's a topic I am so very passionate about. When writing that post Millie was just a twinkle in my eye. I had not a clue of the challenges, love, and joy ahead of me as I became a mother. This post isn't going to be about Millie and I's breastfeeding relationship. No, that will come later. This post will be a bit different.

I have been putting off posting this week. Why? Well because I was tip-toeing around being diplomatic. I was dancing around not being judgmental. I was beating around the bush of not offending anyone. But I have something to say.

Breastfeeding is important. It matters.

Bottom line. The media will tell you that it's really no different from formula. Your Doctor will tell you to supplement if baby isn't making the weight chart. Your life will tell you you don't have time and that it's too hard. And society will tell you that it is weird, sexual, and downright gross.

Don't listen.

Breastmilk is completely different from formula-it's made from cows milk-we are humans-different species. Key word? Different. Breastfed babies are generally longer and leaner, the weight charts are created with formula fed babies included-remember it's different. It is totally and utterly time consuming and it's hard work. There are challenges for everyone. And society? Well honestly look around...why are we still listening to anything our society suggests?

We have women failing, quitting, throwing in the towel-however you want to put it on this sacred act of motherhood and nourishment everyday. Why? I don't believe we can necessarily blame low supply, a latch problem, or the myriad of other issues women cite for ending their breastfeeding relationship. I think we need to focus and blame a lack of breastfeeding culture. A lack of breastfeeding through generations. A lack of education, educators, and resources

So many women don't know their doctor rarely is the best source for information regarding the specifics of nourishment for their child. Women are unaware that hand compressing while pumping is helpful in getting the most efficient pump and hand compression after a pump session may get you even more. Moreover it's not well known that babies are much more efficient than a pump. Supplementation isn't always the best answer and pacifiers could be related to a supply issue-just to name a couple other common difficulties. The challenges and information is endless.

But breastfeeding matters. It helps prevent obesity, diabetes, SIDS, cancer, and death from all causes. It promotes healthy eating habits, helps prevent the risk of breast cancer in nursing women, PPD, and the list goes on and on. These things can show up in all stages of life. So if formula was in our past should we sit around and twiddle our thumbs and wait for them to happen? NO! We should, however, stop downplaying breastmilk and realize the importance it carries.

We should stop being ignorant and degrading and start celebrating, supporting, get educated and empowered! Because, and I repeat: Breastfeeding is important. 

Happy World Breastfeeding Week.

I make milk. What's your super power?

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment