Pages

8.02.2012

Thrifty Thursday

Thrifty
Thriftier; Thriftiest 
1. Thriving by industry and frugality: prosperous. 

It's Thrifty Thursday, the time of the week where I share my thrifty finds from garage sales, antique shops, and of course thrift stores. 

We have a big building by our house. The garbage men park their trucks in there. Don't worry it's not smelly at my house. They are empty. One of the garbage men is named Doug. He loves old things and dumpster diving-I think that's why he seems to enjoy being a garbage man. We have gotten lots of cool things from Doug over the years, taking advantage of his "sickness" as he calls it. Dougs' major weakness is bikes. 

About a year ago I told Doug I wanted a bike. A vintage bike or a vintage looking bike. Well look what appeared in front of our garage. 



Whooo! I'm so happy about it. My $3.00 Lucky jeans that I found at a garage sale were going to be my thrifty thursday photos but the bike beat it. So now I get to trick it out. I feel like it's an episode of "Trick My Truck." Minus the trucks, smoke stacks, plasma tvs and bad acting-so really it's nothing like the show. But whatever.

In honor of World Breastfeeding week I have Thrifty facts for you:


"A study conducted in 2001 on the economic impact of breastfeeding for three illnesses—otitis media, gastroenteritis, and NEC—found that increasing the proportion of children who were breastfed in 2000 to the targets established 
in Healthy People 2010 would have saved an estimated $3.6 billion annually."



"A more recent study that used costs adjusted to 2007 dollars and evaluated costs associated with additional illnesses and diseases (sudden infant death syndrome, hospitalization for lower respiratory tract infection in infancy, atopic dermatitis, childhood leukemia, childhood obesity, childhood asthma, and type 1 diabetes mellitus) found that if 90 percent of U.S. families followed guidelines to breastfeed exclusively for six months, the United States would save 
$13 billion annually from reduced direct medical and indirect costs and the cost of premature death. If 80 percent of U.S. families complied, $10.5 billion per year would be saved."

These facts are from the 2011 Surgeon General's Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding.

Sounds pretty thrifty to me. 

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment