Pages

10.11.2012

Thrifty Thursday

Thrifty
Thriftier; Thriftiest 
1. Thriving by industry and frugality: prosperous. 

It's Thrifty Thursday, the time of the week where I share my thrifty finds from garage sales, antique shops, and of course thrift stores.

Once upon a time there was a city wide garage sale. At one of the sales there was a tandem bicycle. The young lady ran to the bicycle but was devastated to find that it had already been marked sold. Later she saw the bike being loaded into a pickup and discovered these people owned a shop in a nearby town and they tended to horde things. The young lady vowed to go and find that bike one day.



That's a true story and last weekend I went back and got my bike! Brad and Nita's is an experience and not an "Oh my gosh I can't wait to get back there!" experience no, it's more like- "If I'm in the right mood, and the weather is right, and I'm really hunting for something I'll go back there.", experience. But I had spotted my bike outside their store-in the elements a few times and I knew it was destined to be mine. 


So mom and I decided to go and check out the store-if you can call it that, and snoop around for the bike. Here's how the conversation went...I'm just going to say things are a little foggy, or smoky up there, however you want to put it, nice guy just a little too much well...you know. 

Brad: Hey ladies, can I help you with anything? Looking for something particular? 
Me: Do you, uh ever get any tandem bicycles in? (sly huh?)
Brad: (eyes wide) I HAVE one!
Me: Oh really? Awesome, how much are you asking for it? 
Brad: $275 (punch in the stomach)
Me: Oh...(walking around the store) 
Brad: I actually bought it at the city wide garage sales did you see it? 
Me: I did. 
Brad: Did you have your heart set on it?
Me: After I saw it was sold. 
Mom: Is that as low as you could go? 
Brad: I'll tell you what, I'll go $180 
Me: $180? I'm a poor college kid. 
Brad: Oh, I'd hate to cut into your profit. 
Me: There will be no profit, that bike is staying with me. 
Brad (about 10 mins later): I'll go $160
Mom: Let's go take a look at it. 
Brad (after looking at the bike): If $20-$30 are making the difference it makes no difference to me, I'll go $140. 

So I walked around the block. And I knew for a fact he paid less than $75, so he was probably giving me a decent deal and I wasn't ripping him off. He was trying so hard and who knows when I will have a chance like this again. Plus I'd been waiting since July, so I told him $140 cash and took my bicycle home. 

The cash was from some of my almost 4 year old graduation money-thanks again to those who gave me a monetary gift! 

I originally told him I'd write a check, he said, "I have a feeling there is going to be a cyber bank crash on Monday, and I won't be able to cash that check." He was serious. Ok, cash it is.



It's a little rough around the edges, but that just gives Daisy character. I'm just happy she's in a good home and no longer out in the elements. You might be thinking this isn't very thrifty but I disagree. I halfway haggled him down-he kinda did that himself, I was just patient and acted kinda aloof. I could spend $140 on going to movies, and get fat from popcorn-but at the end of the night, the movie would be over and the popcorn would be gone. I get to keep this bike. 


Riding is harder than you would think as well, definitely takes some balance work. I forsee lots of fun with this purchase. So happy to have my bike!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment